Beyond Careers is a community-based, 501(c) (3), non-profit organization; founded on July 7, 2003 and received its federal and state tax-exempt certifications on July 9, 2004. This organization was created to address the need of educating Houston’s economically disadvantaged and at-risk high school students.
The mission of Beyond Careers is to provide education for low-to-moderate income families and individuals (LMI), students, small businesses and the self-employed to build wealth and foster significant improvements in self-sufficiency.
Beyond Careers provides program activities for underserved, low-to-moderate families and individuals (LMI). This includes youth, people with disabilities, seniors, and ex-offenders. The program will connect our clients to the business world by having business professionals conduct training workshops. Workshops include: Financial education, tax recordkeeping for small businesses and self-employed taxpayers, career development, and entrepreneur development.
In partnership with the Internal Revenue Service -Stakeholders Partnerships, Education & Communication (IRS-SPEC), Beyond Careers will continue to provide free tax preparation services through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program and conduct Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) outreach.
This program will help our clients successfully move closer to reaching their goal of self-sufficiency and/or self-employment which will help with the economic development for our communities.
- Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) in partnership with Prairie View A&M University (PVAMU)
- 1st Education Symposium November 2012
- Beyond Careers serves on the Non-Profits Subcommittee of Talent Dividend that was initiated by the Center for Houston’s Future, the Region’s Think Tank: http://www.futurehouston.com/cfhf.cfm?a=cms,c,382
- Tax Recordkeeping workshops for small business/self employed
- Earned Income Tax Assistance (EITC) outreach
- Financial Education, Career/entrepreneur training workshops in HISD and Alief ISD schools
- Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) site from 2008-2011 at the Tejano Center for Community Concerns-Raul Yzaguirre School for Success (TCCC-RYSS)
- Recruitment for volunteers and partners for VITA free tax preparation services by IRS Certified VITA/TCE Volunteer preparer, in partnership with the Internal Revenue Service Stakeholder Partnerships, Education & Communication (IRS-SPEC)
- Event partner for Soal Learn & Earn Summit at Houston Community College-Alief
- MoneyWeek Houston 2009-2012
Awards and Certificates
2010 Partnership Soaring Eagle Plaque
This Soaring Eagle Plaque was presented by the INTERNAL REVENUE SERVICE to Beyond Careers in recognition of your partnership and outstanding contributions to achieve the IRS mission. Soaring above the rest
2010 Community Service Leadership
This Certificate of Appreciation was presented to Beyond Careers by the INTERNAL REVENUE SERVICE Stakeholder Partnerships, Education and Communication (IRS-SPEC) in recognition and appreciation of outstanding effort, dedication and personal contributions in building stronger workplaces and communities throughout this great Nation.
2010 Outstanding Public Services
This award is in recognition of outstanding public service contributed to your community through the INTERNAL REVENUE SERVICE Stakeholder Partnerships, Education and Communication (IRS-SPEC) and TCE (Tax Counseling for the Elderly) Programs.
2009 Pursuit of Excellence Certificate of Appreciation
Received award from the Department of the Treasury INTERNAL REVENUE SERVICE Stakeholder Partnerships, Education and Communication (IRS-SPEC). This award is in recognition and appreciation of outstanding partnering contributions made in achieving the IRS-SPEC.